Immigration to America

National History Standards

Materials compiled in this document can be used by educators to fulfill the following National History Standards for Grades 5-12:

Era 6: The Development of the Industrial United States (1870-1900)

STANDARD 2: Massive immigration after 1870 and how new social patterns, conflicts, and ideas of national unity developed amid growing cultural diversity. 

Standard 2A: The student understands the sources and experiences of the new immigrants. 

7-12: Distinguish between the "old" and "new" immigration in terms of its volume and the immigrants' ethnicity, religion, language, place of origin, and motives for emigrating from their homelands. [Analyze multiple causation]
5-12
: Assess the challenges, opportunities, and contributions of different immigrant groups. [Examine historical perspectives] 

Primary Resources

1. DESCRIPTION: Immigrant pier, Locust Point
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: early 20th century
    NOTES:
    How to order a copy of this print
    SOURCE:
    (Z24.2194)
    REPOSITORY: Maryland Historical Society

2. DESCRIPTION: Passport - Cecco Rossa and Vaccarino Francescare
    NOTES:
    How to order a copy of this print
    REPOSITORY:
    Maryland Historical Society 

3. DESCRIPTION: Arrival of emigrants [i.e. immigrants], Ellis Island / American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
    OTHER TITLES: Arrival of immigrants, Ellis Island
    CREATED/PUBLISHED:
    United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1906.
    NOTES: Information about Video Playback
    SUMMARY:
    Depicts scenes at the Immigration Depot and a nearby dock on Ellis Island. Appears to show, first, a group of immigrants lined up to board a vessel leaving the island, then another group arriving at the island and being directed off of the dock and into the Depot by a uniformed official
    SOURCE:
    Early Motion Pictures, 1897-1920
    REPOSITORY: Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division 

4. DESCRIPTION: Emigrants [i.e. immigrants] landing at Ellis Island / Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
    OTHER TITLES: Immigrants landing at Ellis Island
    CREATED/PUBLISHED: United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1903.
    NOTES: Information about Video Playback
    SUMMARY: The film opens with a view of the steam ferryboat "William Myers," laden with passengers, approaching a dock at the Ellis Island Immigration Station. The vessel is docked, the gangway is placed, and the immigrant passengers are seen coming up the gangway and onto the dock, where they cross in front of the camera. From a contemporary Edison film company catalog: EMIGRANTS LANDING AT ELLIS ISLAND. Shows a large open barge loaded with people of every nationality, who have just arrived from Europe, disembarking at Ellis Island, N.Y. A most interesting and typical scene. Code word Utriele [code for telegraphic orders]. Length 140 feet. Class B. $16.80.
    SOURCE: Early Motion Pictures, 1897-1920
    REPOSITORY: Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division

5. DESCRIPTION: Annual Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1897
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Annual Report) 1897, 1st Accession Number: MdHR 805625, Location: 2/4/8/45, I5312 
    REPOSITORY: Maryland State Archives

6. DESCRIPTION: Biennial Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1900-1901
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Biennial Report) 1900-1901 Accession Number: MdHR 805633, Location: 2/4/8/45, I5313

7. DESCRIPTION: Annual Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1903
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Annual Report) 1903 Manuscript Accession Number: MdHR 811271, Location: 2/3/6/12, I3111

8. DESCRIPTION: Annual Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1905
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Annual Report) 1905 Manuscript Accession Number: MdHR 811272, Location: 2/3/6/12, I3112

9. DESCRIPTION: Annual Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1905
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Annual Report) 1905 Manuscript Accession Number: MdHR 811272, Location: 2/3/6/12, I3112

10. DESCRIPTION: Annual Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1907
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Annual Report) 1907 Manuscript Accession Number: MdHR 811273, Location: 2/3/6/12, I3113

11. DESCRIPTION: Biennial Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1908-1909
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Biennial Report) 1908-1909 Accession Number: MdHR 805632, Location: 2/4/8/45, I6445

12. DESCRIPTION: Annual Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1910
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Annual Report) 1910 Manuscript 1910/11/01 Accession Number: MdHR 811274, Location: 2/3/6/12, I3115

13. DESCRIPTION: Biennial Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1910-1911
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Biennial Report) 1910-1911 Accession Number: MdHR 805631, Location: 2/4/8/45, I6446

14. DESCRIPTION: Biennial Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1912-1913
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Biennial Report) 1912-1913 Accession Number: MdHR 805630, Location: 2/4/8/45, I6447

15. DESCRIPTION: Biennial Report
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: 1914-1915
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Biennial Report) 1914-1915 Accession Number: MdHR 805629, Location: 2/4/8/45, I6448

16. DESCRIPTION: Maryland State and the Advantages it Offers to Immigrants, especially Farmers, etc.
    DATE CREATED/PUBLISHED: n. d.
    SOURCE: BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION (Report) n.d. Accession Number: MdHR 805623, Location: 2/4/8/45, I5311

Additional Instructional Resources

Push and Pull of Immigration. From the Johnstown Heritage Discovery Center.

Making a Life: Creating a Community. From the Johnstown Heritage Discovery Center.

Making a Living. From the Johnstown Heritage Discovery Center.

Additional Media Resources

Immigration and Naturalization. From the Maryland State Archives.

Secondary Resources

Karras, Alan L. Sojourners in the Sun: Scottish Migrants in Jamaica and the Chesapeake, 1740-1800. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, 1992

Shufelt, Gordon H. Strangers in a Middle Land: Italian Immigrants and Race Relations in Baltimore, 1890 - 1920. UMI, Ann Arbor, MI, 1998

Vill, Martha J. "Immigrants and Ownership: Home Mortgage Financing in Baltimore, 1865 - 1914," Geographical Perspectives on Maryland's Past (1979): 150-167.

Ward, David. Cities and Immigrants: A Geography of Change in Nineteenth-Century America. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 1971

Weatherford, Doris. Foreign and Female: Immigrant Women in America, 1840-1930. Schocken, New York, NY, 1986

Copyright and Other Restrictions

Access to materials linked within these document packets is intended for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights (such as publicity and privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. The responsibility for making an independent legal assessment and independently securing any necessary rights rests with persons desiring to use particular items in the context of the intended use.

Password Access to Materials

The use of any user name and password to access materials on this web site constitutes an agreement by the user to abide by any and all copyright restrictions and is an acknowledgement that these materials will be used for personal and educational use only. In most instances, the username aaco and password aaco# will work. Contact ref@mdsa.net if you have any questions or have difficulty accessing files.

Credits

Teaching American History in Maryland is a collaborative partnership of the Maryland State Archives and the Center for History Education (CHE), University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), and the following sponsoring school systems: Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Baltimore City Public School System, Baltimore County Public Schools, and Howard County Public Schools.

Other program partners include the Martha Ross Center for Oral History, Maryland Historical Society, State Library Resource Center/Enoch Pratt Free Library, with assistance from the National Archives and Records Administration and the Library of Congress. The program is funded through grants from the U.S. Department of Education.

This document packet was researched and developed by Nancy Bramucci.

Teaching American History | Document Packets Index

An Archives of Maryland Online Publication • © Copyright 2001-2005 Maryland State Archives
Maryland State Archives • 350 Rowe Boulevard • Annapolis, MD 21401 • 410-260-6400 • msa.helpdesk@maryland.gov